ICCA's Governing Board Members share their New Year's (Dispute) Resolutions
Our field is growing, and with growth comes bigger and better goals, and room for improvement. Find out what ICCA's Governing Board Members will be focusing on in 2019.
"As president of ICCA, my goals for 2019 are to contribute to increasing diversity in our field, and enhancing quality and efficiency of international dispute settlement across the globe."
- Gabrielle Kaufmann-Kohler, ICCA President and Co-founder of LKK Lévy Kaufmann-Kohler
"My 2019 New Year Resolution is to see the new Singapore Mediation Convention signing ceremony go well on 7 August, with ratifications quickly to follow."
- Lucy Reed, Professor and Director of the Centre for International Law at the National University of Singapore and ICCA Vice-President
"My hope for international arbitration in 2019 is for the field to be more diverse and inclusive."
- Mohamed Abdel Raouf, Partner at Abdel Raouf Law Firm and former ICCA Vice President
"May 2019 be a year in which ICCA pursues its efforts to make international arbitration a truly global and diverse professional environment where every actor feels welcome."
- Vera van Houtte, Independent Arbitrator and Chair of ICCA's Diversity and Inclusiveness Committee
“There is a tremendous amount to look forward to at ICSID and I am resolved to maintain the momentum that has taken us to this exciting point in our history. We kick off 2019 with a move to new offices in Washington and enter the final stretch in the project of further modernizing ICSID’s rules for investor-State arbitration. We have our work cut-out for us—but the year ahead holds the prospect for significant advances for investment arbitration.”
- Meg Kinnear, ICSID Secretary-General and former ICCA Vice-President
"My hopes for arbitration in 2019? Very down to earth: fewer document production requests (only narrow and specific categories, please) and shorter awards (no cut and paste, please)!"
- Juan Fernández-Armesto, Professional Arbitrator and Member of the Young ICCA Committee
"I wish the global arbitration community a happy and prosperous new year and hope that arbitration can make a contribution to resolve disputes in a fair and economic way to enhance justice and peace worldwide."
- Anke Sessler, Partner, International Litigation and Arbitration at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP and Affiliates and Member of ICCA's Users Committee
"For 2019, I would view quick and effective enforcement of awards in emerging markets as a key development."
- Zia Mody, Founder and Managing Partner of AZB & Partners and Member of ICCA's Initiatives Committee