William (‘Bill’) K. Slate II (1943 – 2022)
It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of ICCA Advisory Board Member William (‘Bill’) Kenneth Slate II on 10 June 2022. Bill held office in ICCA from 2005-2018, and will be remembered as unfailingly courteous, constructive and generous in his interactions with the ICCA community.
Bill Slate was first elected to the then ICCA Council in 2005, and contributed actively to ICCA’s work, serving on the Programme Committee for the ICCA Congress in Singapore in 2012, taking part in the inaugural cycle of the Young ICCA Mentoring Programme, and chairing the Users Committee from 2014 to 2016. He was also a member of the Nominations and Membership committee from 2012 to 2016, and in 2018, became a valued member of ICCA’s Advisory Board.
Bill’s contributions to the field of international arbitration over a long career were manifold. He acted as President and CEO of the American Arbitration Association and International Centre for Dispute Resolution (AAA/ICDR) for nineteen years, leading their global efforts in arbitration, mediation, elections and education. He also contributed to the work of UNCITRAL Working II and founded the Commercial Arbitration and Mediation Center for the Americas (CAMCA).
True to his passion of making international commercial arbitration data more accessible to future lawyers and arbitrators, in 2015 he co-founded the first-ever global commercial arbitration data entity, Dispute Resolution Data (DRD). Among his many accolades, he received Merit Citations from the United States Courts of Appeals for the Third and Fourth Federal Circuits and the Declaration of Lasting Achievements from the American Arbitration Association.
ICCA President Lucy Reed notes: “Bill was a champion of international arbitration in the United States, who generously shared his insight and wisdom with us at ICCA in his many years on the Governing Board. He surely will be missed.”
His funeral service will be held on Saturday 22 October 2022 at St. Bartholomew’s Church, 325 Park Ave, New York, NY 10022 at 11am. Memorial contributions may be made to either AAAICDRFoundation.org in honor of William K. Slate II or Girard College Girardcollege.edu/support/online-giving/.
We invite you to enjoy this selection of publications and recordings featuring contributions by Bill to ICCA Congresses over the years:
- William K. Slate III, Principal Moderator, General Lessons for the New Technological Age of International Arbitration: “Let not what happened to newspaper-owners, book-publishers and candle-stick makers happen to arbitration practitioners ….”, ICCA Congress in Singapore 2012: https://www.arbitration-icca.org/ICCA-Singapore-2012-video-breakout-session-C6.
- William K. Slate II, “General Lessons for the New Technological Age of International Arbitration: Opening Remarks”, in Albert Jan Van den Berg (ed), International Arbitration: The Coming of a New Age?, ICCA Congress Series, Volume 17 (© Kluwer Law International; ICCA & Kluwer Law International 2013) pp. 641 – 642.
- William K. Slate II, “Luncheon Address The Impact of Culture on International Commercial Arbitration”, in Albert Jan Van den Berg (ed), New Horizons in International Commercial Arbitration and Beyond, ICCA Congress Series, Volume 12 (© Kluwer Law International; ICCA & Kluwer Law International 2005) pp. 11 – 17.
- William K. Slate II, “Summary of Changes to the Commercial Rules and Mediation Procedures (Including Procedures for Large, Complex Commercial Disputes), effective 1 July 2003”, in Albert Jan Van den Berg (ed), Yearbook Commercial Arbitration 2004 - Volume XXIX, Yearbook Commercial Arbitration, Volume 29 (© Kluwer Law International; ICCA & Kluwer Law International 2004) pp. 254 – 259.
- William K. Slate II, “The 2004 Code of Ethics for Arbitrators in Commercial Disputes”, in Albert Jan Van den Berg (ed), Yearbook Commercial Arbitration 2004 - Volume XXIX, Yearbook Commercial Arbitration, Volume 29 (© Kluwer Law International; ICCA & Kluwer Law International 2004) pp. 291 – 298.