ICCA Geneva 2011
50th Anniversary Conference
19-20 May 2011
In commemoration of the 50th Anniversary of the founding of ICCA, in 1961, an ICCA conference was held in Geneva in May 2011. Over 500 ICCA Council Members, prominent arbitration experts and emerging young practitioners gathered to reflect on developments in the field of arbitration in the last 50 years and to ask which developments will take place over the next 50 years.
The celebrations commenced with Young Practitioners' Events on 19 May, followed by a Commemoration Dinner at which the Keynote Address by V.V. Veeder focused on "Memories from ICCA's first 50 years". Highlights from specially-commissioned commemorative interviews with Prof. Pieter Sanders and Prof. Pierre Lalive were screened during the dinner. The final session of the conference proceedings on 20 May looked to the future, asking what will change in the future, and giving the stage to two young practitioners to share their vision.
- Prof. Chistian Bovet, Dean, Faculty of Law, University of Geneva
- Mr. Brenno Brunoni, President, Swiss Bar Association
- Prof. Philippe Burrin, Director, Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies
- Dr. Bernard Corboz, Judge, Swiss Federal Supreme Court
- Prof. Bénédict Foex, President, Société suisse des juristes
- Mr. Pascal Gentinetta, Chairman of the Executive Board, EconomieSuisse
- Mr. Francis Gurry, Director General, World Intellectual Property Organization
- Mrs Gabrielle Marceau, Counsellor, Legal Affairs Division, World Trade Organization
- Mr. François Naef, President, Geneva Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Services
- Prof. Jan Paulsson, President, International Council for Commercial Arbitration
- Mr. Ivan Pictet, President, Fondation pour Genève
- Dr. Michael Schneider, President, Swiss Arbitration Association
- Ms Simonetta Sommaruga, Member of the Swiss Federal Council, Head of the Federal Department of Justice and Police State Council and Chancellor of the Republic and Canton of Geneva
- Mr. Vincent Spira, President, Geneva Bar Association
ICCA's 50th Anniversary Celebrated
In commemoration of ICCA's 50th Anniversary in 2011, ICCA commissioned the filming of two interviews:
- Prof. Dr. Albert Jan van den Berg and Marike Paulsson interview ICCA founding member Prof. Piet Sanders.
- Prof. Dr. Pierre Tercier interviews one of ICCA's first members, Prof. Dr. Pierre Lalive.